Future CEO Program
Born for the top job?
No one is a born leader ... not even potential CEOs of large, successful family businesses. You must learn to lead.
The old saying "shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves" describes a common problem: second and third generation leaders of family businesses who fail as managers and end up back at the bottom. They inherit a business but lack the skills that made it a success.
Is that your fate? It need not be.
The Future CEO program has been designed for future business leaders, those who will eventually run large family businesses or corporates. It equips next-generation leaders with the skills, knowledge and contacts they need to confront problems and manage growth.
Learn on the job
As a Future CEO member you and a select group of peers learn the skills of being a CEO from experts with broad business management experience.
Each Future CEO group has about 15 members - people just like you who are learning how to lead a business. Group members are carefully matched by The CEO Institute for compatible skill levels and activity in non-competing business sectors. This promotes openness and sharing within groups.
A guiding hand
Each group meets monthly and is chaired by an experienced chairman-facilitator who has been hand-picked for their professorial credentials as a leading business academic with practical business experience.
Turning experience into skill
Future CEO activities are structured to develop leadership capabilities and management skills.
The agenda for each group is set by the chairman-facilitator based on each member's learning goals. A typical meeting includes:
- Members' issues: a confidential forum for members to raise difficult challenges they are facing and discuss them in a supportive way.
- Expert speakers: engaged to deepen knowledge in these areas and answer questions. It's like having your own private MBA tutorial.
- Open forum: broad-ranging discussion about issues affecting members.
On-site visits: Future CEO meetings are hosted by The CEO Institute. However, sometimes the group will meet at a member's business premises to give the host member an opportunity to showcase their operations.
Membership of a Future CEO group gives you access to many other privileges and benefits:
- Guidance from an experienced independent chairman-facilitator with professorial credentials. They ensure that the Future CEO curriculum delivers outcomes agreed by the member and their organisation with annual feedback and review.
- Access to a pool of expert speakers including CEOs, consultants and business academics for advice, insights and leadership wisdom.
- Annual self-set projects relevant to each member's business, which allow members to hone their problem-solving skills with peer and professional support.
- Invitations to elite events hosted by The CEO Institute, providing opportunities for networking and friendship with people who understand the challenges and joys of being at the top.
- The right to use a post-nominal on your business card and documents, denoting your Associate Member status of The CEO Institute (AMCEOI).
- Membership of an exclusive group of your peers. Membership is by invitation.
- Group diversity with a mix of future CEOs of medium-size to large family businesses as well as senior executives from other businesses.
- Customised group membership, based on your business size, industry sector, existing qualifications and experience, ensuring maximum potential for learning and relevant discussion.
- Veto rights over potential new members is given to all existing members of a Future CEO group, ensuring no conflicts of interest or other problems.
- Providing the learning foundations to prepare for advancement to The CEO Syndicate program on achieving CEO status.